Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Why I Left the GSC

I've had a lot of people ask why I left my position at the GSC, so I thought I'd take a quick moment to explain what happened.

Last December, my boss Ixchel told me that starting in September 2011, my position would be reorganized into a Program Coordinator position that would be filled sometime in summer '11. While I was bummed that my position was going away, I was grateful that I was given such a huge window of time to find new employment.

I initially saw it as an opportunity to look into teaching, which is my longterm goal. But a few obstacles came into sight. The first being that teachers all over the state are being laid off en masse, so I didn't see this as a great omen for my job prospects. But also, my wife has been having issues with her grad program which made her employment with UT for 11/12 iffy, so I figured I should definitely find a job somewhere on the UT campus so that my daughter could continue in her daycare and my son could join her in August. The last thing I'd want would be for September to roll around and both my wife and I be out of a job and out of daycare.

Sometime in the beginning of the summer, the Multicultural Engagement Center lost their Administrative Associate. Since the MEC and the GSC are both housed in the Student Activity Center and work together fairly often, there was a possibility that I was going to get to lat move to the MEC and be the administrative associate for the GSC and MEC.

So my job search essentially began in late January and continued through the Spring in early Summer. In that time, I was offered a position as the Travel Coordinator with the School of Architecture. While my first choice would have been to continue on as the Administrative Associate with the GSC/MEC, I had to jump at a guarantee. So here I am...

I'm enjoying my position so far in the School of Architecture. The people are all very nice and I look forward to getting to know them more as I become more proficient at my job. I've always hated change, but I feel like I'm adapting pretty well. It's hard going from a place where I was comfortable and knowledgeable about everything that was going on to a place where I hardly know anyone's name and where I've had to kind of start over with what I know, but I feel better by the day.

more later... work time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it's only been a couple of days. You'll look back in a month or two and wonder what all the fuss was about. Trust me!

    ReplyDelete